Friday, October 5, 2012

Dining Room Windows In

It's been a busy summer!  We took on a bit more than we could finish and with the hot hot hot weather in August and September, it was tough to get out there and work.  Not that all the time was spent lounging on the couch.  I had a method - 15 minutes in the blazing sun, 15 minutes prone on the couch gasping for air like a fish out of water - repeat until you are about to die, then do it all again the next day.  Anyway, here is an in-progress picture of the new (old) dining room windows.  Well, not that there is a dining room, per se, OK let's call it the dining area of the living room.
As was the case in the front door and sidelights, these windows were part of the salvage from the 1922 Fullerton house.  Our contractor Jeff built the jambs and did all the trim work and hung the windows.  Now I just have to stain and varnish inside and caulk and paint outside.
I got started on the painting today with doing some priming.  Finally some nice cool weather to paint by!  I think it is going to be 78 degrees today, which is much better than the 99 degrees we were having throughout September : - (
My husband and I had to remove the original 1915 shingles so as to put all the necessary weather guard stuff in place around the windows (Moist Stop and of course black paper).  Removing the old shingles is tricky because they are very fragile at this point, and this being the sunny side of the house, they are not in wonderful shape.
They are not actually shingles, but are called Split Barn Shakes and of course no one makes the 36 inches long by 6 inches wide version anymore.  You can have them custom split, but when I talked to the guy about it a couple of years ago he said I had to order it in the spring and then they would go into the woods and cut the trees and split the shakes.  Needless to say, it was pricey!  I've seen pictures of the Riordan Mansion and their shingles are looking pretty weathered, so I figured as long as I keep things caulked in the gaps I may as well go with that Riordan Mansion look : - )
Yeah, like my shack is anything like the Riordan Mansion!  Oh well, it is my mini-mansion.  You can see the original color of the paint-stain on some of these shakes as we used whichever side was best.  You can also see what a nice pinkish brown color the old brown paint ended up - ugh.  So tomorrow is caulking, Sunday is painting and thank goodness I have Monday off for a second coat of paint.
Obviously more shingles to replace and work to do on the kitchen siding, but that's what the weekends are for, right?

1 comment:

  1. WOW...what fun and what a wonderful lil cottage, LOVE the trim color, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete